Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Serious problems training Shih Tzu. Advice?

Okay, there's going to be quite a lot of typing here... but my problem is rather complex. Any help is GREATLY appreciated, I am at a loss.





I have a Shih Tzu who is one year and six months old. Our backyard is fenced off, and he goes back there to potty. Or, sometimes just to play. Our neighbors to the left have three dogs that are CONSTANTLY in the backyard. My Shih Tzu has taken a liking to running back and forth across the fence and barking hysterically with the bull dog on the other side of the fence. It's loud and very irritating. My backdoor neighbor has complained on him twice [and I don't blame her, honestly. I know it's annoying to hear a dog bark all the time] so, it is to the point where [for about five months now] I go out with him EVERY time he needs to go to the bathroom. Rain, snow, heat.... I go out with him ten million times a day. That is the *only* thing that keeps him from barking, knowing I am out there. If I stay inside, he barks and I end up having to go out and get him anyway.





I know some of the answers are bound to be ';He needs more excercise'; or ';Get him a trainer'; so, please continue to read before you say either. First, he gets PLENTY of excercise. He goes on two *long* walks per day. He has a bucket full of toys which I , or someone else, is constantly playing with him. He has a huge backyard, so there's plenty of room for him to burn off some energy when he goes out to go potty and etc. We even have another dog, whom he is CONSTANTLY playing with. I really don't think his barking is caused by lack of excercise.





And about a trainer, I really don't have the money. Not at all. I know that is probably what is needed, but it is out of the question right now.





Please, any advice, taking him out every single time he needs to potty is really interfering with my life. It's gone on way too long, and I have tried just about everything I can think to try [in short, barking collar, rolling him when he barks, treating him when he doesn't bark, locking him up when he barks.] I love him with all my heart, but I can't do this anymore. I have really given my best effort and got no results.





Thanks for reading all this.Serious problems training Shih Tzu. Advice?
I have a little Tzu ';barker'; also!! And it is hard. She constantly barks at the neighbors Standard Poodle! But have you spoken to your neighbor? Is this bull dog out all the time? That is just as bad!! Bull dogs have a lot of health issues, especially with heat!! So he shouldn't be out all the time in it. Snow, cold and rain aren't good either to be out in all the time. I would talk to your neighbor about ';their dog'; being out all the time. I would do it nicely..and perhaps something can be worked out between you. Why should you take it all on your shoulders...they are to blame also.


If you are taking your dog out on 2 long walks a day, and let him out just a few more times, you shouldn't have to take him out a million times a day.


To train your dog not to bark will probably be long and tedious, but it could probably be done. I used a spray bottle to help ';curb'; my tzu from barking. If he barks at your door to go out, it probably isn't because he has to potty...it is probably the neighbor's dog. And by taking him out each and every time he barks at the door thinking he has to potty, is only teaching him barking gets him something he wants. You can take your dog out, spray bottle in hand, and give him a squirt when he starts barking at the other dog. Or just take him out for his business, and right back in the house. Reward him when he doesn't bark...squirt him when he does. And as soon as he stops, reward him. Use a key word like ';Quiet his name'; or SHHHHHHH his name and be consistant.


If/when he barks in the house, use the same technique. Whether there is someone at the door...or the wind is blowing...whenever he barks, give him a squirt with the key word. And of course, when he stops give him a treat. Too save money on treats, use ';animal crackers';. They are inexpensive and my dogs love them as treats. (They both are Tzu's)


I think a trainer will tell you close to the same thing. You have to be consistant all the time. You have to discourage unwanted behavior and reward good behavior. You can try to distract him or refocus him with something like a toy or a ball getting the focus off the other dog. Whether it is learnng tricks, or learning behavior issues, they have to learn who is in charge. Once they get that you are in charge, not them, they will start to respond to commands on a regular basis. But you have to get their attention first. My trainer worked with my dogs, and the very first thing we learned was ';watch me';. Treat in hand...get their attention...and the least bit of focus, they were given a treat. Whether it was only for a few seconds...they focused and payed attention. I no longer need a treat in my hand to get my dog to focus on me. ';Watch me'; does it now. And he will watch me until I release him. Of course ';staying'; is giving me a hard time..but I know he will get it. It takes a while, but with patience your dog will learn when it is acceptable to bark and when it isn't.


I know my answer is probably longer than your question, but I hope I have helped you in some way.Serious problems training Shih Tzu. Advice?
well dear,small breeds will bark a lot,well mostly.try to talk to ur dog.b a good listner.it will help.goodluck.

No comments:

Post a Comment