Monday, August 23, 2010

Problems with teenage daughter. Need Advice!?

My teenage daughter is a very smart young girl, and I believe that it is for that reason that she has begun to question her beliefs. She reccently told me that she is starting to lose her faith in God, and that she's started to be more interested in all of the scientific discoveries that have occured over the years that, as she puts it, make much more sense and scientific backing than the Bible.





I really do not know what to do in this situation. I do not want my daughter to become an atheist, especially at such an early stage in life.





What should I do?Problems with teenage daughter. Need Advice!?
She has the right to decide what religion will she profess.You can only support her as a parent.If she was younger than 8-9 years,it would have been a lot easier to make her change her mind but now she is a teenager and she has her own opinion which has to be respected.Problems with teenage daughter. Need Advice!?
Congratulate her on having a good education.
She has a right to decide her faith on the basis of truth and experimented truth. Just because you have followed your parents with out questioning the unverified facts of Bible, why should the twenty-first century children do that?
well you could try taking her to church.you can ask the pastor what to do or you can ask him to do a special sermon and take your daughter with you making sure she is listening. you cab tell her the consequenses of when she dies where she will go or you can pray and He will give you an answer. But DONT push her to it! that will send her getting annoyed and becoming an atheist. try to do it in a way she will like that is not pushy. hope it works!
Both of my parents are of opposite faith. My mother is a Wiccan and my father is Jewish. My mother and father have tried both to pull me in so many directions. My mother telling me her thoughts and my dad doing the same.


Being a teenager myself, yet..now old enough to make my own choices, I lost my faith in both of what I grew up on but now have found my faith in not just one thing, but many things!, my mothers side and my father's side!.





You have a voice in what your daughter thinks and what she does, after all you're her parent but letting her get to where she needs to be in her faith will show her you're supportive which is most important in a teenager's life.
here's something my mom once told me.





';God always answers you. If you ask for something and you get it, then your answer was yes. If you ask for something and you don't get it, then it was not meant for you, and he has other plans for you.';





I too use to doubt my beliefs, but as time past, and with repeated prayers, I came to find what my mother told me was true. You just have to not be discouraged when you don't get what you asked for, because little do you know, although it may be something you think would have benefited you, that benefit may have came with a unknown price that God didn't want you to pay. Therefore, he kept it out of your life and has other plans for you.





Besides, life is not easy, and I believe that life is a test. A test of your faith in him, and although things are tough, and you may not get what you want everytime, if you are a good hearted person, then you will get what you need. Somes you will also get what you want, but just remember to be grateful of it, otherwise something may go wrong with it, and it can become something you didn't want.





I use to pray daily for my soulmate, and finally, I found her, and we are now married. I know it was my prayers that lead us to each other.





Good luck.
You need to let her have some space.... but you can research %26amp; give her sites %26amp; information that BACK the bible.... there is a lot of info on the History Channel. Maybe that will help her decide that two can coexist.
DON'T WHAT EVER YOU DO DON'T PUT ANY PRESSURE ON HER!





Let her find her own way!
She has the right to choose. But as long thats she lives with you it's your rules. You dont need to force her, but let her understand. You need to let her go to church camps, on vacation with a church group or something like that. Let her have fun with people who believe in god. Allot of people are embarased when people know they follow the word of god. You daughter is young and want its identity, and thinks she knows better. You need to get her involve in things about god and bible , but try not to forse her but push her without even knowing. Their are allot of people who thinks they know better than the bible, scientist ect. They think tht they know the asnwer. Their are allot of difirent religions that are against our god. You need to let her see how good our god is. AND that you dont always get what you want. God only knows why..... good luck with your daughter ask god to help you, and god bless
I think that this should be her decision. Youshouldn't try and force a religion on your daughter!!! She has the right to be atheist, catholic, muslim etc. You should just be there to support her in whatever decision she tends to make.
Good question. It's a natural thing for them to start questioning the status quo at this point in life. After a period of ';searching';, she may or may not revert to the beliefs that she was raised on. This is one of those situations where you just have to be content that you did your best and have to trust the outcome to fate. Just keep on being you and be supportive. Time will tell on this one.
Trying to 'prove' or 'disprove' God through science is like trying to 'disprove' the existence of mountains with a microscope. He is outside of her scope. The Chronicles of Narnia is perhaps the best allegory - falling through the back of the wardrobe on accident. The experience is quite shut off to those who insist on seeking with their mind. He is Spirit and will surprise her by connecting with her in Spirit. Continue to pour out your heart to Him about your daughter. Ask Him for wisdom in what to say and what not to say. He is utterly trustworthy. He will not give up in pursuing her.
But you wish to impose your beliefs on her, instead of letting her find out what SHE believes in. If you love her, let her discover life on her own. Being an atheist does not equate to badness. I know atheists who are morally better people than many christians.


just let he be. if you push in any direction, she'll go the opposite way.
Let her decide and explore different relgions or atheism. It's her choice what she wants to believe in/
This is a sign that your child is intelligent and respects her parents enough to tell them her feelings. Don't blame science. There are lots of famous atheists throughout history who were very good people. If you believe, however, that your daughter will be eternally damned if she is an atheist then YOU do have a predicament.


Your daughter will see right through the ';show her the science in the bible'; stuff. I did. Some people really dont need the moral strictures of religion to know how to treat others, but show her how beneficial belief is for people.
do nothing





a person CANNOT say they truely beleive any one religion until they have explored the others.. it is not enough for a person simply to follow a set of beleifs just becuase they are told too...





the church has long used religion as a way to control people... they tell you that you cannot question your faith etc.. and they tell you that you will go to hell if you leave...


we condem countries who do not let their people leave or who do not let their people quesiton their leaders actions... so why have a different standard with religion???





allow your daughter to explore for herself.. you are right - she is a VERY SMART GIRL!





- a person can beleive in God.. but not in religion
I was your daughter when I was in high school. My mother let me do what I had to do. She said it is my decision to become the person I need to be. I think this is the best thing she said to me (then). We fought about everything and she was always pushing me to do things because she did them or whatever...but when it came to this issue she let me be.


Don't fight with your daughter, you may disagree with her beliefs or wanting to find the right beliefs for herself...but don't fight with her about it. It will just push her away.
I read this question and got a chill. My father could have posted this question 40 years ago. I fear this is not the answer you are looking for.





I started questioning religious beliefs when I was 13. I stayed with the church until the end of high school to please my father, but that was the only reason. I was raised strict Roman Catholic, and the inconsistencies and hypocrisies lead me take a more scientific view of creation.





To this day, I am on the side of science. I suggest letting your daughter explore both sides. She may decide to stay with religion as many of my friends did. Eventually, she will make her own choice as an adult and it will be out of your control.
Allow her a free atmosphere to grow into an adult with an inquisitive and introspective mind. You were denied that , but you should not deny it to her. Truth emerges more from enquiry than conforming others views. Christians are basically conformists but intellectual Hindus are essentially enquirers who realise the ultimate Truth much faster. Faith need not be inherited; it should be cultivated by a series of enquiries. She is at the threshold of the entire process. You as a true mother must facilitate her to reach the Truth her own way.
This is normal.. and she should be allowed to venture out and seek her own answers. She may stray, but then may come back to where she started but with new knowledge and better for it.





The more of an issue you make about the more she will rebel! The values you have taught her WILL stay with her, just give her the space to explore...
Keep your influence while you have her in the house, but at some point everybody questions his/her faith. Everyone must seek out his own salvation with fear and trembling.





Psalms, Job, and especially Ecclesiastes are full of examples.
All teenagers have second thoughts about god and so on. Only the smart, deep ones go further. You should try to remeber how you were as a teenager. Alot of people say they do remeber, but we as human beings put aside the not to good thoughts about of teen years. We forget that we also questioned all that was around us. When my teen started questioning god and religion I went out and bought books on the world religions and its effects in the world. I also bought books on near death experiences by children mostly as for some reason we beleave children more then grownups. I told her that she will have to really investigate if she wants to find answers.


She was happy that I was taking her seriously and assisting her in her search. We talked alot of the different books and exchanged thoughts.


But what really got her was telling her of the things I experienced. Little signs from my guardian angel. She was shocked but wanted to know what had happend. I told her the true story of how I was walking off the sidewalk and a car came towards me. It was only inches away and I should have been hit. Instead in a split second I was back on the sidewalk and the car had stopped infront of me. I started to cross and looked at the man in the car. His eyes were opend wide and he had a look of shock on his face. He looked at me as I passed and smiled at him, thinking we were very lucky. I then told her about the times as a child that I knew when the phone would ring, or I would tell my dad to answer the door because somebody was coming. This lead to along night of talking and at the end she realized that there just might be something bigger out there.


And after afew months , she has a cross over her room door and a angel over her bed.


So support her as good as you can. Look back into your life, is there nothing that happend to you which left you with a feeling of knowing?


Share it all with her and even if she decides on science you will still have that deep loving relationship, which can also be a form of proof.


Good Luck
Talk with her about *why* she's losing faith. You may be able to help her through this. Give her a little wiggle room and maybe tell her that faith has been very important in your life and has helped you through ... and tell her of specific situations.





As a teen, the question I kept asking that was pulling me away from God was, ';Why do bad things happen?'; The answer that pulled me right back to faith was, ';God never promised bad things won't happen, but he did promise you won't be alone.';





Science and the bible aren't mutually exclusive. Maybe everything did start with the big bang - but where did the big bang come from? Hmmm...
There isnt anything you can do. If you shove God down her throat she is going to reject it even more and it may put a wedge between you. Discuss her beliefs with her and listen to her and explore them with her. If she is intersted in science....then talk to her about it. You may not want your daughter to be an atheist but she is what she is and you cannot change that. You are going to simply have to accept it and that is it. You built a good foundation and she may return to God later in life. YOu dont know..but its her right to explore her non belief and there is not much you can do about that. HOpe its a phrase....and pray I guess.
First, I wouldn't not let her think for herself. When my daughter questioned both God and Santa and asked me about it. I told her that I never saw God or Santa and some people believe and some don't. That it is her free will to do what she wants. I also told her that since she never saw God or Santa that she didn't neccessarily have to believe in a person. It could be a feeling or a sense.Then I asked her what made her feel better, to believe or not? She said to believe. I said you don't have to worry about anyone else, if you believe that should be good enough for you. I also told her that miracles happen every day and that no one on earth could give her a 100% true answer as to whether there was a God or Santa or not.
Interesting that your teenage daughter is questioning what most people start questioning in their 30's........good for her! She is an independent thinker and that is due to the support and encouragement that you have provided her with. She will struggle she will research and she will come to a conclusion that she is comfortable with. So much better to have an individual who belongs to an organized religion because they checked it out, checked out other religions and found that is what they believe and want to be......not like a sheep who is there because that is where their parents feel they belong. There are also a large number of science theories such as the string theory/quantum physics that are linked to religion such as Buddhism etc..... Let her enjoy her exploration. It doesn't mean she will be an atheist it means she will decide what religion best suits her beliefs, comfort zone etc.


You are both pretty amazing women!





Let your daughter fly......it will be easier for her if she has your blessing and encouragement. this will also make it easier to come ot you with new things she has learned that you can talk about together......perhaps you will both learn new things together!
It is common for teenages to be curious, question things and what your daughter is doing, which isn't 'a bad thing. Be happy she's interested in learning and researching different opinions instead of taking what is told to her at face value. Those are traits that will serve her well later in life.





I wouldn't worry about her becoming an athiest and even if she does announce that she is, it's most likely a temporary stage she is exploring. I wouldn't do much except encourage her to learn as much as she can about what interests her. If you try to force what you want on her, she will probably rebel and lean the opposite direction to be willful (also a teenage trait!) But you can constantly remind her that God is always there loving her and ready to help her.
oh well bad luck for you, she has seen the TRUTH that religion is organised brainwashing and she cannot possibly accept it anymore. this was even more likely to happen if she was raised in a religious household, she will reject it twice as bad if she has a brain, which she clearly does.
i'm not a pro but the more you push the more they pull i believe in the bible but can you deny your child the scientific version of what happened my advise is enduldge this new found intrest and learn with her then you can be prevy to this info together and you can discuss this c.s.
I think you should let her explore the scientific ways of religion. But remind her that her faith in God is very important to you. Dont push the isssue to hard because she may rebel against you completely. Maybe this is just a phase and curiosity and it will pass once she learns all she wants to on the subject.
how old is she? my friend is 16 right now, and when she was 15, she claimed to be an atheist. i guess she's just going through a phase. i'm a teen also, and i feel the same way sometimes, because of some negative things that happen in my life. i'm sure she'll overcome it, because i'm going through the same thing, and so are many of my other friends who are around the same age. so it's probably just a phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment