Saturday, July 31, 2010

Can you give me advice for potty training problems?

My two year old was doing great. She was having maybe one mistake a day while in underwear. But she got sick, like three times in a row. Crup like cold, fever for four days, then another cold. She hasn't been doing well since then. We're lucky if she goes pee once a day. Oddly enough she goes poop in the potty about every other time she goes. But peeing is a big problem.


So I've tried rewarding with an m%26amp;m. Initially it worked. But since halloween, she knows there's a big bowl of candy on the counter and just wants candy. I'm trying to incorperate that in, but she just goes and sits on the potty for 2 seconds, flies up and says all done and wants candy.


I've tried a potty doll. That almost works. I tell her that I think the doll has to go potty and she sreams no and runs to the potty rips her pants down and sits down. But she doesn't go.Can you give me advice for potty training problems?
My daughter did that as well. She was going great....then all of a sudden my husband watched her one day (he put a diaper on her) and it took another 3 months for me to get her to even SIT on the toilet again.





Continue to put her on the potty (I would be doing it more like once an hour though) and letting her sit there. Also...if she's peeing right afterwards...then you're not letting her sit there long enough. And be firm....when she tries to get up and hasn't gone...tell her simply that no she isn't done...and she can't have her reward unless she pees.





You also need to be watching her potty cues....my daughter ALWAYS scratches her private area right before peeing (I have NO idea why) BUT that's my cue to get her on the toilet. Sometimes it only takes one actual peeing episode to reinforce what you are trying to do.





And quit rewarding with candy. That can lead to bad ideas about food being a ';good thing'; later in life and you can have a child with issues regarding proper eating.





I would reward with something better....get a calendar and put stickers on it for every time she potties...etc when she completes a row...take her to the dollar store and let her pick out a toy.





My mom wanted me to make my daughter ';wash out'; her messed underwear herself...but I couldn't bring myself to do it.





BUT what really worked with her was to go to the mall and buy some pretty underwear....';Princess underwear'; we called it. I told her that she couldn't wear them if she peed in them....she had 4 accidents like that week....it was slow but really worked. She even got so worked up for ';ruining'; her pretty underwear that she cried and apologized profusely.





Now she can even wear a diaper all day long and still not pee or poop in it at all. And she always poop in the toilet too....I think that she's simply too prissy to let her butt smell like poop once she figured out that flushing was so much better. I thought that it was supposed to be the other way around. They pee fine but not ever want to poop. UGH!!





Good luck.Can you give me advice for potty training problems?
do not reward with candy or anything else besides praise, just take a deep breath and start over just keep trucking, my son was trained by a year in a half and at two he had a serious seizure and was hospitalized for about a week, the tubes and iv's made it difficult and whenever i went home to shower and come back the nurses had him in a diaper, after getting him home i was frustrated and the amount of accidents but it was just him getting better and it returned to normal after time, your daughter might seem all better but might still be a little sick, you know how it is when you are sick you feel tired and lazy, my guess is that is all it is, just give it some time and patience
get consistent go back to what worked before and stick to it. this shouldnt have bee n let up on when she was sick. i made the same mistake with my son as well. make her go once an hour and make her stil there give her a book or special potty toy that she can only have on the potty. run water too.
I don't think you can push kids into potty training (not saying you are) but with my oldest (who was very stubborn about it) nothing would work (not even rewards) he just finally got it on his own just before the age of 3 (I know it's a lil late) however my second son had it down pat before he was 2! It just depends on the child, the parent, and finding something that works for the both of you. I wouldn't make a big deal about rewards (because it's something that must be done, not just a choice for a treat) but I also wouldn't get upset with her when she has a mistake, I probably wouldn't say anything at all about it.





Good Luck!
NO!! Don't use candy for a reward!! :) She's ok. All it's gonna take is seeing how proud of her you are when she is successful on the potty...peeing or pooping! Also, take her at the same time you are going and it can be a trip that you two do together. That will make it more fun and exciting for her because she's getting to do something with mommy! :) It will be your ';special time';. Let me know how she does, k?
ahh , every time I read about peoples baby's I want one. When I was training my Daughter years ago someone gave me a piece of advice that worked like a charm . Take her panties off and let her run around bare. The feeling that there is nothing there to absorb the pee made mine find another alternative, and that was the toilet . I hope this works for yours.
we tried running the water and it worked i would also try giving her a special gift like a token or something and when she uses the pottey so many times go to the store and buy her something it always worked with us so you should try it

No comments:

Post a Comment