Saturday, July 31, 2010

Single father needs advice on work related problems?

I am an emergency responder for my job. This requires me to be on call 24/7. I share custody of my son with my ex. Recently I have missed 2 after hours calls due to the fact that I had my son with me, and no babysitter was available. Even if I had a babysitter available, it would be nearly impossible to get the babysitter here in time for me to respond out to a call. I have to be able to respond to any call within 30 mins. One of the officers at my work has repremanded me in a way that is completely unfair, and unjust. I dont have family near me, or friends that I would be able to call at 2 or 3 in the morning to race over to my place to watch my son, and still have enough time to respond to the call. Somone had mentioned to me that there is some sort of law out there that states that this type of situation is work related discrimination. If this is true, can anyone point me in the right direction of attaining some type of copy of this law.Single father needs advice on work related problems?
I am not sure about a definitive law that would make your circumstance a ';discrimination'; case. However, maybe you may want to look into having a full time nanny to watch your kids when they stay with you incase you do have to run out in the middle of the night.





If that is not an option, you could take the route of contacting the higher ups in your company, or even an internal affairs department to file your complaint of discrimination. But unless you are a contracted employee, most positions are at-will. Which pretty much means, if your employer (or yourself) feels you cannot commit to the job needed then they can fire you, just as easily as you can quit.Single father needs advice on work related problems?
I really don't think you have a leg to stand on. See if you can find your employee agreement and figure out what exactly you agreed to. If you agreed to be on-call 24/7 and are no longer able to.. that's your issue, not your companies. You should have discussed with your boss BEFORE missing 2 calls.
Happens to single mom's all the time. It doesn't make it right though. You accepted a job that has you on call, it's your responsibility to make sure you have child care available. My ex tells me I'm a lazy parent because I work and don't stay home with the kids even though he doesn't exercise his summer or spring break visitations he accuses me of dumping them on daycare. I think it's great that you get your son even though it's not convenient for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment