Thursday, July 29, 2010

I have a huge anger management problem, any advice to handle it?

I'm almost 30 and I still have an anger management problem. It deeply disrupts my work, my relationship with co-workers, with my Husband, his in-laws, my friends, my family. It goes something like this, someone will say something or do something and I'll feel myself explode inside like a bomb. For me there is only a split second between complete calm and instant anger. My anger is literally ruining my life. I need to stop but I can't. I feel as if I'm on crack. As funny as this my seem to some people it's not. I'm getting desperate here. At age 28 the only thing I've learned to do so far about my anger is to hold it in only to have it explode a few days later. Another side affect of this is I stay angry for a very long time.


Anyone, just anyone who has some techniques for not feeling angry in the first place. Respond please.I have a huge anger management problem, any advice to handle it?
Just think, ';I'm on the beach, I have a drink in my hand'; a few times.








Remember, calmness is strength.





Maybe you think in your own brain that anger rage and stress/tension shows how strong or in control you


Actually, and I think you feel the same way I do about this, anger shows weakness.


Don't take things personally. Put on the 'white coat' step back and study things. See what goes on. You dont have to 'react' to everything.


Anger is fear.


You have to find out what it is you are afraid of.


Many times people get angry when they can not control a situation. Realize you have no control, over anything except your own attitude.





Between your own two ears, is the only place you have control.





Find beauty and happiness in the world, and your surroundings.


Focus on the positive.





There is ALWAYS a positive.


';Hey I lost my leg';





and you still have the other one.





';I got a bad grade';





and you can take the class again.





';I made a mistake';





I learned something.





';I am horribly disfigured';





You can still breath to see another day.





Maybe part of your problem is too much time on your hands.


Volunteer your time. Read to and with kids in public school. Get involved with a literacy program and teach an adult how to read. Help those less fortunate and it will help you to start counting your blessings more.


Have more fun.


Laugh more.


Plant a tree.


Sew a christmas stocking.. sewing is better for you than taking a valium.





Have a few phrases to live by such as. ';So what, now what?';


This is good for any problem. Don't focus on the negative, choose to focus on what we do NOW.....





and my favorite thing to offer to negative people who want to be beligerant and abrasive....





';Whatever, that's cool.';





It works in any situation.





';I hate your guts you ugly ho!';





Whatever, that's cool.





';I want to never see you again and your mother dresses you funny';





Whatever, thats cool.





';I liked my last girlfriend much better than I like you';





Whatever thats cool.








Go rent the bill murray movie ';meatballs';....





some great philosophy in that movie.





also, spend the 200 bucks it costs to get your teeth professionally whitened (bleaching tray, the dentist)


Your smile will be so pretty you will want to show it off.





take a boxing/karate class or buy a tae-bo tape to vent some frustration... join a gym (endorphins woo hoo!)





make sure you get enough sunshine








if all that doesnt help, then seek medical help you may have a chemical imbalance of some sortI have a huge anger management problem, any advice to handle it?
seeing a medical doctor might be a good idea. my problem was not so much with anger but more no tollerence, no patience,flying off the handle for dumb little things. i could not recall the last time i had a smile on my face. the whole experience was like having 24/7 severe pms. people would tip toe around me cuz i was always ready to go off on something. but......in all honesty.........i was having a great life. my kids are wonderful. and everything is fine.........go figure. my doctor diagnosed the problem as a chemical imbalancement, put me on effexor and i was back to being human in two weeks.
Have you ever had your blood sugar checked? I started having the same anger issues. It turned out I was diabetic. When my sugar would get high, I would get really grouchy and impatient with people. You should get some blood work. Also, you could be bi-polar, as this is one of the symptoms of this mental illness. Talk to your doctor.
Okay, it sounds like you have half of the problem worked out, which is not letting your anger loose right away. What you need to do now is find a way to redirect it without letting fly at the nearest bystander. Myself, I use a punching bag. Yes, really! Not only do I let off steam, but I keep in shape because at least twice a week, I want to whale the tar out of that thing!





As to the ';not feeling angry in the first place'; part: It helps to put things in perspective. Yes, people are idiots; they can't help it. That's how I look at it, and yes, I'm being an arrogant *****, but some of the mistakes I see people make every single day are enough to make a Zen master want to decapitate them. Unfortunately, that's against the law, so my advice is to take it one day at a time, and if possible, find a way to laugh at what makes you angry. I snicker all the time, and have even mastered keeping it to myself. Okay? And when it's too much, go find a punching bag and let loose. Best of luck to you.
Think of something great in your life.
my bro has the same prob. so, he says if u like feel like ur gonna burst,b4 u burst just say i think im gonna burst as calm as u can then the ppl around u cud be okay, go ahead. that way, they have a warning ahead of time.


'cept my bro, he's always like screaming and whacking me on the head while he's telling me hes gonna explode. im like ya, i kinda noticed. sumtimes he gives me the evil stare or start swearing at me like...ya. i'm always like whao! calm down brad! mom's gonna be mad. then mom's wud stroll in and use her serious voice...';bradley prinzen! wut do U think ur doing????'; its actually kinda funny cuz he gets grounded for it too, and loses his comp, his xbox and stuff, his mp3 and preivilges like going to a party or sumthing...o ya , he has to do my chores and his! thats the best part. lol
You need to see a professional counselor, as soon as possible. He or she will be able to work with you to find some techniques that work for you and also help you understand what causes your anger and how to cut it off before you explode.





One thing that helps regulate my mood is exercise, but just because that works for me, does not mean it will work for you. A professional is really your best bet.
well, i tink u should pray about it. nothing works better than prayer. developing a spiritual relationship with Jesus would certainly help. But everybody gets angry, when you do just count to ten very in your mind. Repeat that step if necessary. Keep your arms behind your back, and clench your fist. Walk/run far away from the source of anger as long as it wouldn't seem rude/disrestpectful in that situation. Don't let your anger gain control of you, you must take control of it! so pray dude, pray!
You must give your husband permission to hold you accountable. Allow him the authority over you to warn you when you are out of line with your anger. If you can not bring it under control at the time of his warning then there must be a punishment after you calm down and you must accept it in order to do better the next time.
Well when at work take a piece of paper and write ur feelings down and at home just leave the room and go to ur room and just sit there and think about what they said and try to think how question can become positive one and come back like nothing happened take my advice i have been in alot of trouble because of this
yell at a tree or learn meditation.and exercise burns off nervous energy and creates endorfans,a natural anti-depressant and mood control.take the b vitamins for stress and learn to think positive and calming thoughts.face your ander and win by realising nothing is worth getting upset about,only if you let it
I used to get angry alot. Sometimes I still do , i dont know if there is any way to avid getting angry but, i have founf that if i look at the person who is causing my anger and think, what an asshole and laugh, it usually makes me feel better. Sometimes if somwone says something too me i dont like I just smile and reply, youre a funny guy, or you really are a piece of work you know that?....Try to think something humourous at the moment you feel anger, it may help
You need to seek medical marijuana. I know that sounds crazy but I guarantee you it will calm you down. It keeps you level headed. The Hopi Indians used it when they thought someone went crazy (probably bipolar) and it worked. The other alternative is prescription medication but they have some nasty side effects. I would give you some other alternatives but you may get angry.....
you took the words out of my mouth! i asked a question like this not too long ago but i couldnt get the words out and you just did. I AM THE EXACT SAME WAY!! and its starting to hurt my relationship!!!





you can read some of my answers which were somewhat helpful.





personally...i LITERLY take a HUUUUUGGGEEE deep breath...its almost like a big dramatic breath..i dont care if its dramatic though im pissed...so when i need to jus take a second i take a HUUUUGGEE deep breath!!! and then i try to start laughin it off...because with alot of other things i usually laugh it off....





some ppl say count to 10 i say no..i doont have time..





some ppl say walk away..but again i dont have time!!





some ppl say find the root source and go from there...my root source is i want control... but how i can fix that before i fix my anger??





some ppl say go to the dr..again no time or money...





some ppl might c it as bipolar...im not that drastic though...





any ways goodluck though!!





just try to block ppl out when u take ur deep breath... haha i heard this from a show but its sooo true...





when someone pisses you off or says something wrong.... WIPE UR A S S with it!!!!





goodluck!!! and amen!! haha~
It sounds like you may have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), you should see a therapist and get yourself treated before you end up with health problems due to the constant build up of anger and stress or before you hurt someone and end up behind bars. And I'm sure you don't want that. Good Luck.
I like to relieve my tension by playing with my shotgun. I will head to the hills and fire off a couple hundred rounds of 12ga. I find it is great therapy. I will not do it though if I'm in a bad mood right then. I don't shoot anything living, just cans or clay pigeons.
Run forest Run

No comments:

Post a Comment